SUBJECT: Inventory and Renewals of Faculty and Staff Loans
To establish guidelines for an annual inventory of items checked out by SDSU faculty and staff, which facilitates record keeping and helps employees keep track of their loans.
- Regular Circulating Materials: This includes, but is not limited to, items from the Books/Upper Level; Government Documents/Lower Level; Rabbit Reads; Prairie Striders; and Jim Koch Amateur Wrestling collections.
- SDSU faculty and staff may borrow regular circulating materials indefinitely unless another patron requests an item be recalled.
- Due dates for regular circulating materials checked out to faculty and staff are set at October 1 each year.
- For loans of items that are not regular circulating materials, see the Library Charges Document.
- Materials loaned to faculty and staff are inventoried once a year.
- An Access Services library associate runs a job in Alma to send a courtesy notice by email two to three weeks before the due date to all patrons with faculty or staff status who have loans.
- The notice includes an inventory of materials on loan to each patron.
- Patrons are responsible for ensuring that the library’s inventory matches the materials in their possession and communicating with library staff about discrepancies as soon as possible.
- Patrons are asked to review the inventory and return materials by October 1 or renew materials in their possession by email, by phone, or in-person.
- An Access Services library associate runs a second job in Alma to send a courtesy notice by email one week before October 1 to all patrons with faculty or staff status who have loans that have not been renewed.
- The established procedures in the Library Charges Document for overdue materials are followed once the due date passes.
- Renewal requests and other email correspondence regarding the inventory are saved in a subfolder of the Circulation email account.
- Related Documents
The Access Services Librarian or designee is responsible for application and ad hoc review of this policy and annual review of procedures. The Policy and Procedures Committee is responsible for review of this document every four years. The Dean of the Library is responsible for all revisions to said policy as well as approving the policy and all future revisions.
Reviewed by: Library Faculty April 1, 2020
Approved by: Dean of the Library April 2, 2020
Origination date: January 25, 2000
Revision dates: April 2, 2020; March 15, 2016