SUBJECT: Theft of Library Property
To establish guidelines that address theft of library property, including prevention and detection controls, report procedures, and consequences.
- Briggs Library personnel will develop, implement, and update procedures and controls to prevent and detect theft of library property.
- This policy pertains only to incidents that happen within the library, and not to unreturned overdue materials.
- The Archivist & Special Collections Librarian will maintain and update security procedures to be followed in the SDSU Archives and Special Collections.
- The library Safety Committee will maintain and update the Briggs Library Emergency Manual “Theft of Library Property” procedures.
- If a staff member witnesses or learns of a theft or attempted theft of library property, they will follow the steps outlined in the Briggs Library Emergency Manual “Theft of Library Property” procedures.
- Staff who are concerned about an area of the library that may be vulnerable to theft will report this to their supervisor and the Dean of the Library.
- Related Documents
The library Safety Committee or designee is responsible for annual and ad hoc review of this policy and the related procedures in the Emergency Manual. The Policy and Procedures Committee is responsible for review of this document every four years. The Dean of the Library is responsible for review and approval of this policy and associated revisions.
Reviewed by: Library Faculty January 3, 2018
Approved by: Dean of the Library June 1, 2022
Origination date: January 4, 2018
Revision dates: June 1, 2022