SUBJECT: Care and Handling of Oversized, Unbound Materials
To establish guidelines that extend the life of oversized, unbound materials in library collections.
All library personnel will follow established procedures in order to prevent damage to oversized, unbound materials in library collections.
- Use clean hands.
- Store materials flat in a map case drawer. Do not overfill.
- To retrieve from a drawer:
- Prepare a clean viewing surface with adequate room. No part of the document should protrude over the edge.
- Remove all materials from above the document.
- Provide adequate support and ask for assistance if necessary.
- To prevent tears, avoid lifting the document by its edges.
- Do not photocopy an oversized document. Request staff assistance for photographing and scanning.
- Roll document in or around a cardboard tube for safe transport.
- Send damaged documents to the bindery. Do not attempt to repair them yourself.
- Avoid using adhesive notes, paper clips, self-adhesive tape, or glue.
- Related Documents
The Preservation Committee or designee is responsible for five-year and ad hoc review of this policy and related procedures. The Dean of the Library is responsible for review and approval of this policy and associated revisions.
Reviewed by: Library Faculty December 5, 2018
Approved by: Dean of the Library December 5, 2018
Origination date: December 5, 2018