When you cite you indicate that information is borrowed from a source. You need to do this every time your borrow information.
Why do you cite?
- to give credit to the person or persons responsible for the work you are using.
- to allow your readers to check on how you have interpreted the source.
- to allow your readers to access the source themselves.
- to demonstrate the research you have done on your topic.
- to lend credence to the positions you take in your paper.
- to use information ethically and avoid committing plagiarism.