- Statement of purpose: what was studied and why
- Methodology: experimental group, control group, variables, test conditions, test subjects, etc.
- Results: usually numeric and presented in tables or graphs, often with statistical analysis.
- Conclusions drawn from the results
- References and sometimes footnotes
- Author credentials
Hint: The abstract (summary) of a research article is the first place to check for most of the components above. The abstract appears both in a database record and at the beginning of the article.